9/28/2006

First Time ..


Well I have never actually written a blog, but, I can say I have definitely read many! I wanted to start off this blog for my sister so that she has a comfortable place where she can write down her thoughts, and updates for those who want to stop by and check in.

This will also be a place where me and my family can also log our thoughts and updates on Michelle as well.

What I can say right now is that I am so proud of her.

I was with Michelle when she got the call at work to advise she had breast cancer. I was in my office and then she instant messaged me to say "it was not good". I rushed out of my office to hers as she continued on her call, then also asked to speak to the physician. They told me she had Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I had no idea what that was, then she said the two words no one ever wants to hear "Breast Cancer".

The look on my sister's face is one that will be with me for a lifetime. I knew right then and there a piece of my heart broke that day and would not be replaced.

I took my sister into another office and had 2 of my colleagues come in to speak to us and explain what just happened. As you can imagine this was very hard for her and me to digest as it came as a total surprise her mammogram would be positive as no one in our family history that we knew or know has this disease. Not to say you can never get it, but usually one doesnt think about it. My colleagues gave us very benefical information to get us at ease. The words I will always carry with me are "it's treatable, and curable". Those are the magic words that I am sticking with.

While my colleagues spoke to Michelle I asked her if she wanted me to call the family. One by one with her in front of me, I called everyone starting with her husband. This was not an easy thing to tell any of them and to hear their voices you can imagine.

I took Michelle home and we went to go get her films etc that she will need so we can start to do our research and get ready for what will be coming ahead.

I told Michelle that I would become her patient advocate to take care of all medical needs and items for her so that she and her husband would not have to stress over anything all she would have to do is show up. To date we have scheduled everything that we need to do.

For those that may not know what to do, we learned and moved fast.

This includes:
1. Finding a breast surgeon
2. Finding a reconstruction surgeon (so you know your options)
3. Finding a medical/oncologist
4. Finding support groups
6. Learning all research and what to do post surgery (look good, feel good programs).

To date we have almost everything set for Michelle and her family and my family and me will be there to support her in whatever she needs.

The best part is Michelle is doing tons of reading to get herself familiarized with what will be happening and she is actually handling this very well considering. I told her its good to know what they will tell you in advance so not such a shocker so we are telling each other EVERYTHING that we hear and read.

I know this will not be an easy road for my sister and her family, but what I do know is that she will have all of us in her corner doing whatever we need to, to be there for her and do whatever we can. Like I joked to her last night, she's a "bull dog" and takes no crap :) ... so this will be no different.

I hope you will check in often on her happenings and I thank you for coming to visit!

I love you Midge :)



Barby

No comments: